Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Heads or Tails

Today I proved that odds are in favour of the flipper, (as opposed to the caller...not the flippee.) I know what you're thinking: the odds of flipping a coin are 50-50, right?

Wrong!

Let me explain. There are three ways that a coin can land when you flip it: Heads, Tails, or on it's edge. Today I flipped a coin to decide if I was going to make an afternoon Starbucks run. Heads I go, Tails I don't. It came to rest up on it's edge. No kidding! Of course now I was faced with the paradox of neither going nor not going to Starbucks, (follow that?) I instead took it to mean I should make my own decision and not leave it to chance, so I went. Anyway, what this incredible event proved is that it's not 50-50 when you flip a coin. It's more like 49.[some long string of 9's] Heads vs. the same Tails, and some very small fraction left over for the edge. Really though, when something like that happens, who doesn't try to do it again immediately? I flipped the coin two more times and it came up Heads both times, so what I really proved today is that when you flip a coin, two thirds of the time it will come up Heads, and the other third it will land on it's edge.

Hey, like the government and TV execs, I can make stats say anything I want.

If fact, tonight I'm going to prove that 100% of Kevin's prefer Dairy Queen to the gym on Tuesdays.

All for now,
Kef...

4 Comments:

Blogger MiraFabulous said...

mmmmmmmmmm ..... Dairy Queen.

I don't think that the preference of Dairy Queen over the gym is limited to Kevins. For example, I think you would find if polled that Joy prefers Dairy Queen over most other foods (especially if they're savoury foods) 100% of the time as well

ENJOY!!!!!

4/10/2007 5:27 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

Hmm. Well, Mira did say *most* other foods, so she may be accurate, but really Dairy Queen is just a subset of the more general "dessert" category which I prefer over the more general "real food" category...there are real foods (and appetizers!) that I very much enjoy, and there are probably desserts that I prefer over Dairy Queen, but my preference for the dessert set as a set is greater than my preference for the real food set as a set...and Dairy Queen is so darn convenient :). No feeling guilty about going to a restaurant and only spending money on dessert there and then wondering if you are really tipping the server enough...

4/11/2007 7:04 AM  
Blogger MiraFabulous said...

dude - you are seriously overdue for a new post!

10/31/2007 5:05 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

I concur :)

12/04/2007 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home