Thursday, September 01, 2005

Seasons change


Another season comes to a close for the Wishing Well mixed softball team.

First game of playoffs was last night. Last game of playoffs was last night. Kinda sucked. It was a team we beat early in the season, then lost to later, but when I gave up two home runs in the first inning and another in the second, I knew we were in for a tough one. A few mistakes, (other than me serving up meatballs for them to knock over the fence,) and not enough bats finally did us in though.

I can honestly say that I wasn't that sorry to see this one end though. I mean, don't get me wrong, losing sucks, but that feeling passed pretty quickly this time. There was some strange goings on in the league this year, fighting and complaining and the like, so I wasn't too upset to see it over.

As baseball comes to a close however, it has me thinking of my winter sport.

That's right, it is almost time again for CURLING. Yes, curling. For my winter sport I carry a stick, (broom actually,) but rather than wear blades on my feet, I hurl 44 lb stones down a painted sheet of ice. I won't try to justify the sport to you. Just know that it is fun and it was invented by the Scots. Yes, the same people who brought us golf, bagpipes, and my favourite, caber tossing.

In other completely unrelated topics, it is long weekend coming up. Labour day! I get to celebrate the fact that until I retire, I will be spending about one third of my life "labouring" toward some kind of freedom. I guess I can celebrate the fact that I am working, or can work. Plus this is a holiday we in the North share with our US neighbours, unlike some of the other long weekends. You know, we celebrate dead Queen's birthdays, they celebrate dead President's birthdays. I think we should celebrate birthdays of people who are alive. I think they would appreciate it more. Heck, I always take MY birthday off and I totally love that!

This weekend I am not going away though. No cottage or camping or trip of any kind, (can't really afford it right now.) I am however taking care of my friend's cat. I think by taking care, they just want me to make sure it is fed for the next few days, but I am going to make sure it gets some attention, too. In fact, I think I am going to try and train it some new tricks.

I wonder if it can climb the curtains yet?

All for now,
Kef...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home