Friday, March 17, 2006

Is it that hard being green?

Like most cities in North America, the Tdot goes crazy on the seventeenth of March every year. This year, since St. Patrick's Day falls on a Friday, there are any number of parties at which I could be drinking and dancing the night away. Irregardless of the fact that most of those parties are not my scene anyway, I don't find myself drawn out on this night. "But everyone is Irish on St. Paddy's Day," one work colleague expressed to me this morning. Not me, I'm English. (Mostly, anyway.) In fact I wore my English team football, (soccer,) sweater today just to bug those that take the day seriously or are actually Irish.

Maybe it was growing up listening to my Nanna on my Mum's side. She is English. Born, raised and lived there until she met my Grandad while he served in the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II. I always remember people asking her where her green clothing was on St. Patrick's Day. "Don't be ridiculous," she'd say, "I'm not Irish!" So there I was today, walking around seeing everyone else decked out in their green sweaters, green t-shirts, green scarves, green pants or green overcoats, and every time I saw something green, I proudly puffed out my chest displaying St. George's Cross.

Which brings me to another point. Does anyone know what April 23rd is? It is St. George's Day! This year I am going to have a party on April 23rd. I am going to put up my flags, serve fish and chips, bangers and mash, and Cornish Pasties and wash them down with a Bass, Newcastle or a Young's RamRod Special Bitter, all the while listening to traditional English music. (I think I have more than a few Beatles CDs!)

I looked into what a St. George's Day celebration might look like and to my horror I discovered that it is not even a Holiday in England! All of bloody North America drinks green beer on March 17th but not even the banks get April 23rd off in England! Well I plan on making a big deal of this and anyone who wants to, can come. This day will not be a secret anymore because I am telling a crowd to be here Sunday, April 23rd for the First Annual St. George's Day Bash at Kef's Place!

I guess I'd better tell the Roomy there's gonna be a crowd here.

All for now,
Kef...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO all about celebrating St. George's Day. I always appreciate a new reason for random debauchery...

3/25/2006 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home