Saturday, June 03, 2006

A Random TTC Story (or: A Tribute to the "Methadone Bus")

Fellow blogger Sandra has a relatively new transit route in to work that seems to provide no end of blog worthy material. Reading of her often quirky rides on the "Methadone Bus" has inspired me to share something that happened to me recently.

I have had many experiences on the TTC over the years that I would count as memorable, (I may even share some of them one day.) The bus portion of my current ride to and from work each day is relatively uneventful. The 95 York Mills runs a route past two high schools and a junior high, so the bus is like, usually like, full of like, teenagers like, talking about like, teenager stuff. Sometimes they are loud but I think back ten years, (or more,) and remember that I was often part of the rowdy group on the bus or subway. This past week however something happened that I have never experienced in my nearly thirty years riding the rocket. Let me set the scene:

I got on at York Mills station, making my way home at the end of a busy day. I was near the front of the line so I got a seat on the bus that is usually akin to a sardine can. I like to read on the bus, and when I read I tend to lean forward slightly with my elbows on my thighs, (I am near sighted so I like to get my nose right in the book.) I don't usually pay attention to who is around me unless I know them or they are especially memorable. I happened to recognize a guy from my building on my left and there was some girl to my right.

About half way home, my back was getting a little stiff from leaning forward so I sat right up to stretch out. I felt something behind me so I looked to my left to discover a hand. The hand belonged to the girl on my right that had her arm around me. Needless to say this was a little strange to me. Yes, it is hard to keep to one's space while sitting shoulder to shoulder on public transit but this was a new level of closeness on the bus.

Even funnier was when I turned to glance at the girl after I noticed her hand, we made eye contact but she still made no move to pull her arm back within her own seat. My reaction was to shrug and go back to my book. It was too hot for me to care, she was kinda cute, and I don't remember the last time someone put their arm around me. When her and I got off at the same stop, I briefly considered asking her out for coffee or drinks, but something about her said dangerous so I just went home.

I'm just glad it wasn't the 300 lb. construction worker sitting to my right that day.

All for now,
Kef...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww! I'm feeling rather flattered. But in any case, the arm-aroud-WestSideKef story warms my little heart...why do I get smelly freaks, and you get someone normal, though?! :)

6/05/2006 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps she was reading over your shoulder.

"Hey, don't turn the page. I'm not finished yet."

Noo ne noo ne noo ne noo ne noo ne noo ne noo...

B...

Bus.

Noo ne noo ne noo ne noo ne noo ne noo ne noo...

Signed,
The Sesame Street Typewriter Guy

6/09/2006 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home